My top reasons for switching to a Kindle over traditional hardcopy books:
1) Virtually unlimited storage: my current Kindle Touch can hold 3000 books (yes... that's three THOUSAND). And should I ever actually fill that up, in my unlimited Amazon cloud storage I can have as many books as I can afford to buy
2) I can carry my entire library of books in my pocket. No more going on vacation and having to choose only a handful of books to bring.
3) Never have to worry about losing my books. Regardless what happens to the Kindle... lost, stolen, or damaged.... my books are always safe and sound in my Amazon account, ready to be downloaded to a new device.
4) My Kindle weighs a whopping 7.5 ounces... less than the weight of your average paperback.
5) Adjustible font size. No more headaches from reading small text sizes. As I get older, it's nice to be able to adjust the font size to something more comfortable for reading
6) Download and start reading in 60 seconds from anywhere you have wi-fi internet access.
7) More and more of my favorite older books are being converted to Kindle format so I am able to easily convert most of my existing hardcopy books over to Kindle freeing up storage for other things, and when you live in a small, 163 year old antique house that's a big deal!
8) Can get up to 2 months of reading on a single charge with the wi-fi turned off, damn near a month with the wi-fi turned on. And I'm talking with reading an average of 4 hours per day! So going on vacation only to reaize you left your charger at home is no cause for panic. As long as you left with a decent charge, just turn off the wi-fi and emjoy!
9) Download a read a "sample" before deciding whether or not to buy the whole book. No more having to judge by the little blurb on the back or what little you are able to scan at the bookstore. And every sample I've ever downloaded has consisted of SEVERAL chapters. More than enough to decide if you like the book or not.
10) You can have as many copies across as many devices as you want. If you have 20 people in your family, you can have 20 different Kindle compatible devices (including computers, Apple, or Android devices) assigned to your Amazon account and share all of your books across all 20 devices. Buy it once, share with everybody!
I know a lot of people are reluctant to shift to a digital e-reader. They like the feel and even the smell of traditional books. And that's cool. I have some books that I will probably never convert to digital format for various reasons. Tech books are still easier to have opened on the desk in front of you while you are working. But you know, more and more college and even primary school text books are being offered in digital format for a hell of a savings over traditional hardcopy books. And don't you think it would be easier for kids in school to carry all of their books in a 7 ounce Kindle than in a 30 pound backpack?